If one were to ask the Roman Catholic church how to obtain eternal life, what would be the answer? The Roman Catholic church teaches the following is necessary for salvation:
- “Faith is necessary for salvation.” – Catechism of the Catholic Church, para. 183
- “Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation” – Catechism of the Catholic Church, para. 846
- “This sacrament of Penance is necessary for salvation for those who have fallen after Baptism” – Catechism of the Catholic Church, para. 980
- “The Church affirms that for believers the sacraments of the New Covenant are necessary for salvation.” – Catechism of the Catholic Church, para. 1129
- “Baptism is necessary for salvation for those to whom the Gospel has been proclaimed and who have had the possibility of asking for this sacrament.” – Catechism of the Catholic Church, para. 1257
- “Service of and witness to the faith are necessary for salvation” – Catechism of the Catholic Church, para. 1816
- “The specific precepts of the natural law, because their observance, demanded by the Creator, is necessary for salvation” – Catechism of the Catholic Church, para. 2036
Rome teaches that faith in God, His revelation, and the Roman Catholic church are necessary for salvation. It also teaches that baptism, penance, the remaining sacraments, and the following of the natural law are necessary for salvation.
In comparison, what is necessary for salvation according to the Scripture?
“And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.” – Acts 16:30-31 KJV
“That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” – Romans 10:9-13 KJV
“Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures” – 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV
“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” – Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV